Thursday, July 24, 2014

Interview: Chess Desalls

         Chess Desalls recently authored the first installment of the YA time travel series, The Call to Search Everywhen.  She’s a longtime reader of fantasy and sci-fi novels, particularly young adult fiction.  She can’t resist a good fairy tale or fable.  When she’s not writing or reading, she enjoys traveling and trying to stay in tune on her flute.

Favorite reads?
          I absolutely love Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn and Madeleine L'Engle's Time Quintet.
 
Inspirations for the book?
          One morning the idea for the story title and the otherworldly time traveler, Valcas, popped into my head.  To counter Valcas, I wanted to create a female lead who was strong and relatable. That's how Calla entered the story. Calla and I met the other characters together during her journeys through time and space.  
          I never planned on writing a time travel book. Travel Glasses started out as a short story. Then it turned into a novel. It wasn’t until I got to the last third of the first book that I realized Calla and Valcas' story would become a series.

Did you know you wanted to be an author when you were little?
          Yes, I did. I knew that I wanted to write a book. I just didn't know what it would be about.
 
Any Pet Peeves?
          Repetitive beeping or tapping drives me bonkers, especially if it's the only sound in the room.
 
Chocolate or Peanut Butter?
         Chocolate :o)
 
Is there a soundtrack to the book/Favorite music?
          Nope. I haven't listened to music while writing for years.  
 
Do you need anything to write? 
          Oddly enough, I like to have background noise when I'm writing. Coffee shops, bowling alleys and pool halls are my favorite places to write. Being around other people energizes me, and the background noise helps me to focus.
 
How long do you write on any average day?
          I'll write for one to seven hours depending on how the ideas are flowing. Some days it feels like the characters are being lazy and quiet. Then there are those days where I feel like they follow me around until I sit down and pay attention to them.
 
Give us the number one reason to read your book.
          Travel Glasses is a breezy read that will have you wondering what will happen next.
 
Author Info:


When an ethereal being knocks Calla to the ground near her family’s lakeside cottage, Valcas helps her to escape by traveling to another place and time.  At first, Calla is as intrigued by the otherworldly Valcas as she is by his method of time travel:  an altered pair of sunglasses that enable the wearer to search for anyone or anywhere in the past, present or future.  That is until she suspects that his search for her was no mere coincidence. 

With her trust broken, Calla sets off on her own, taking the Travel Glasses with her.  Torn between searching for her estranged father and reuniting with the rest of her family, she tracks down the inventor of the Travel Glasses in hopes of discovering more about Valcas’ past and motivations.  With Valcas hot on her trail, Calla hopes to find what she’s looking for before he catches up.

No comments:

Post a Comment